REIGNING champs St Kieran’s survived an extra time thriller with their great rivals Kilkenny CBS to advance to the semi-finals of the Top Oil Leinster Senior A Schools Championship in Dunmore on Wednesday, 11th January, winning 0-16 to 0-12.
After losing Ciaran Brennan to a red card in a close fought encounter, St Kieran’s College looked under pressure until a point from dynamic wing back Dermot Phelan levelled the match at 0-9 apiece to force extra time.
Kilkenny CBS had asked big questions of the holders with Liam Stynes, Michael Butler, Oisín Murphy and Sean Boyd all influential.
But a heroic defensive display and a big centre field performance from last year’s All-Ireland winning captain Adrian Mullen, and crucial scores form Eoin Cody, a nephew of Henry Shefflin, fired Kieran’s into the semi-finals.
Also through to the semi-finals is Dublin North who advanced past Borris VS by 1-13 to 0-12 at Netwatch Cullen Park yesterday.
An early goal from Ard Scoil Rís and Na Fianna full forward Michael Murphy was the crucial score as Cian Derwin, Sam Beirnes and Conor Berrigan kept a Ciaran Murphy inspired Borris at bay.
Under a new format, Kilkenny CBS are still in the hunt for Top Oil glory and join Borris in the back door section where they are joined by Castlecomer CS who beat St Brendan’s of Birr by 1-14 to 0-8. The back door was completed on Friday, when St Peter’s College defeated Good Counsel College by 4-12 to 2-11 at Ferns.
- Borris VS v St Peter’s College
- CBS Kilkenny v Castlecomer CS
Winners of 1. and 2. join St Kieran’s College and Dublin North in semi-finals.
- St Kieran’s College 0-16, Kilkenny CBS 0-12 (aet)
- Dublin North 1-13, Borris VS 0-12
- Castlecomer CS 1-14, St Brendan’s CS, Birr 0-8
- St Peter’s College 4-12, Good Counsel College 2-11
And here’s the results of the Round 1 games which were held before Christmas:
- Borris VS 3-11, St Brendan’s CS, Birr 0-10
- Kilkenny CBS 0-16, St Peter’s Wexford 0-07
- Dublin North 1-12, Good Counsel 2-08
- St Kieran’s College 1-12, Castlecomer CS 0-09 (aet)