Fáilte chuig leinstergaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil Comhairle Laighean CLG

Drama As Two Of Five Games In Leinster MFC Go To Extra-Time

April 22nd, 2017

Two of the five games held this afternoon in the Electric Ireland Leinster Minor Football Championship went to extra-time.

Electric Ireland Leinster Minor Football Championship Results

Kildare 2-13, Carlow 0-9

Longford 1-19, Wicklow 3-8

Offaly 0-13, Westmeath 1-4

Dublin 1-15, Meath 1-13 (aet)

Louth 2-11, Laois 0-15 (aet)

Dublin and Louth progressed to the quarter-finals after an additional 20 minutes’ play against Meath and Laois, respectively.

Elsewhere, there were wins for Offaly over Westmeath, Longford against Wicklow, and Kildare versus Carlow.

After the games, the qualifier draw, which gives counties a second chance, took place and it produced the following pairings:

Meath v Laois; Wicklow v Wexford; Westmeath v Carlow.

The quarter-final draw will not take place until after those matches are held.

Dublin were in serious trouble against Meath at Parnell Park before staging a dramatic recovery. The Royal County led by 1-10 to 0-3 at half time, with the goal scored by Conor Freyne. But Dublin took over after the resumption and, boosted by a 55th minute goal by James Doran, fought back to level at 1-11 each by the final whistle.

Dublin edged ahead by 1-14 to 1-13 at half time in extra-time and the only score in the closing ten minutes was a point for the winners by the influential Ciaran Archer, who contributed 0-3 in extra-time.

It was equally dramatic at O’Moore Park, where Louth eventually overcame the home side. Despite a first half goal by Ben Mooney, Louth trailed at the interval by 0-7 to 1-3. It was nip-and-tuck throughout the second half, with Laois having a penalty saved by Alan McCauley.

A late free by Alan Kinsella kept Laois alive and the sides were deadlocked at 1-9 to 0-12 at the end. Laois went two points up early in extra-time with Kinsella again on target, but Louth hit back with two points and a goal from a penalty by John Gallagher to lead by three at the turn-around.

Similar to the match in Parnell Park, there was only one more score before the end – a point for Laois – which wasn’t enough for them to avoid the qualifiers.

There were also some anxious moments for Longford fans at Glennon Bros Pearse Park before they finally disposed of a gallant Wicklow side.

Longford led by 1-11 to no score after 26 minutes – the goal coming from Kyle Kenny – and 1-11 to 0-3 at the interval.

However, quick fire goals by Jordan Deans and Padraig O’Toole brought Wicklow back to life and they eventually cut the gap to only two points.

Longford lifted their game again and struck for six points in a row – with Shane Farrell, Dylan Farrell and Ciaran Reilly answering the call – before a third Wicklow goal and a second by Deans left the outcome in the balance again.

It was much more straightforward at O’Connor Park, where Offaly easily beat neighbours Westmeath by six points. The Faithful County enjoyed a 0-6 to 0-1 cushion at the interval and, with Cian Johnson contributing 0-6 from play, they were home and dry before a late consolation goal for the Lake County from Luke Price.

Kildare also surged clear against Carlow in the second half at Netwatch Cullen Park. Carlow edged in front early on and only trailed by one at the break, 0-7 to 0-6.

It was still all to play for after 40 minutes, with the sides level at 0-8 each, but goals in the last ten minutes by Jack Barrett and David Kelly helped Kildare to a ten point winning margin.

Carlow GAA
Dublin GAA
Kildare GAA
Kilkenny GAA
Laois GAA
Longford GAA
Louth GAA
Meath GAA
Offaly GAA
Westmeath GAA
Wexford GAA
Wicklow GAA