Fáilte chuig leinstergaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil Comhairle Laighean CLG

SFC: Carlow, Laois, Louth Into Last Eight

May 21st, 2017

After today’s three first round games in the Leinster GAA Senior Football Championship, the quarter-final fixtures have been finalised, as follows:

Saturday, 3rd June 2017

O’Moore Park, Portlaoise: Carlow v Dublin, 7pm

Sunday, 4th June 2017

O’Connor Park, Tullamore: Laois v Kildare, 3pm

Parnell Park, Dublin: Louth v Meath, 3pm

Sunday, 11th June 2017

O’Connor Park, Tullamore: Offaly v Westmeath, 3pm


Carlow 2-17, Wexford 2-13

Midfielder Brendan Murphy and sharp-shooter Paul Broderick inspired Carlow to their first victory in the Leinster GAA Senior Football Championship since 2011 at Netwatch Cullen Park.

Broderick slotted over ten points (five from play) and Murphy produced a phenomenal display at midfield, capping off a man-of-the-match display with an injury-time goal which put the result beyond doubt.

There were jubilant scenes on the pitch afterwards as Carlow supporters and players celebrated a deserved success.

Wexford were put on the back foot early on when Daithi Waters received a black card and his midfield companion Colm Kehoe was forced off injured. The Slaney-siders were reduced to 14 players in the second half when Eoghan Nolan was dismissed, but Paul Broderick also received his marching orders late on.

Free-takers Ciaran Lyng and Ben Brosnan were the main scorers for Wexford in the first half, and they didn’t fall behind until a Broderick free edged Carlow ahead, 0-7 to 0-6.

It was 0-8 apiece at the break, but Carlow broke through for a great goal from wing back Danny Moran in the 46th minute, which gave them a 1-12 to 0-11 lead.

But Wexford hit back with goals from PJ Banville and full-back Naomhan Rossiter, the second of which brought them level, 1-14 to 2-11.

Broderick and Murphy then came to the rescue again for Carlow with crucial points and although Wexford briefly reduced their deficit to a single score, masterful Murphy made sure of Carlow’s quarter-final place with a super strike.

Carlow Scorers: Paul Broderick 0-10 (6f), Brendan Murphy 1-2, Danny Moran 1-0, Alan Kelly 0-2, Darragh Foley, Sean Gannon, John Murphy 0-1 each.

Wexford Scorers: Ciaran Lyng 0-6 (6f), Ben Brosnan 0-4 (4f),  P J Banville 1-1, Neamhan Rossiter 1-0, Adrian Flynn, Michael Furlong 0-1 each.

CARLOW: Craig Kearney; Chris Crowley, Shane Redmond, Conor Lawlor; Danny Moran, Daniel St Ledger, Gary Kelly; Brendan Murphy, Sean Murphy; Eoghan Ruth, Darragh Foley, Alan Kelly; Paul Broderick, Ciaran Moran, John Murphy.

Subs: Sean Gannon for Ciaran Moran (28), Barry John Molloy for Crowley (35), Mark Rennick for Danny Moran (61), Jamie Clarke for Ruth (61), Kieran Nolan for John Murphy (63), Shane Clarke for Gary Kelly (64).

WEXFORD: Conor Swaine; Michael Furlong, Naomhan Rossiter, Jim Rossiter; Eoghan Nolan, Joey Wadding, Brian Malone; Daithi Waters, Colm Kehoe; Kevin O’Grady, Ben Brosnan, Adrian Flynn; Ciaran Lyng, John Tubritt, P J Banville.

Subs: Niall Hughers for Waters (B.C. 18), John Leacy for Kehoe (26), Ronan Devereux for Jim Rossiter (51), Paul curtis for Tubritt (57), Conor Carty for furlong (66), Donal Shanley for Flynn (67).


Laois 4-15, Longford 0-16

Laois recovered from the disappointment of relegation to Division 4 of the league with a big win over Longford at O’Moore Park.

Peter Creedon’s side struck for two goals before the interval, and two more soon after the resumption, to earn a quarter-final crack at Kildare.

Playing with the wind at their backs, Laois held a 0-10 to 0-7 advantage approaching half time, when brothers Paul and Donie Kingston each hit a goal.

Laois were then nine points up at the break, and early in the second half Alan Farrell raised their third green flag. Two minutes later, Paul Kingston scored his second goal and by now they had an unassailable lead.

Longford did have one of the best performers on the pitch in Robbie Smyth, who registered a personal tally of 0-11 (four from play), but overall the goals proved very costly.

Laois Scorers: Paul Kingston 2-1, Donie Kingston 1-4 (3f), Alan Farrell 1-0, John O’Loughlin 0-3, Darren Strong, Padraig McMahon, Colm Begley, Brendan Quigley, Niall Donoher, Evan O’Carroll, Eoin Buggie 0-1 each.

Longford Scorers: Robbie Smyth 0-11 (7f), Sean McCormack, Liam Connerton, Darren Gallagher, Ronan McEntire, Conor Berry 0-1 each.

LAOIS: Graham Brody; Darren Strong, Denis Booth, Damien O’Connor; Eoin Buggie, Stephen Attride, Padraig McMahon; Brendan Quigley, Colm Begley; Niall Donoher, Evan O’Carroll, Alan Farrell; Paul Kingston, Donie Kingston, John O’Loughlin.

Subs: James Kelly for O’Connor (33 mins), Gareth Dillon for Attride (58 mins), James Finn for D Kingston (68 mins), Ross Munnelly for O’Carroll (70 mins), Kevin Meaney for Donoher (73 mins), Sean Moore for O’Loughlin (73 mins).

LONGFORD: Paddy Collum; Dermot Brady, Barry Gilleran, Andrew Farrell; Donal McElligott, James McGivney, Des Reynolds; John Keegan, Michael Quinn; Ronan McEntire, Sean McCormack, Diarmuid Masterson; Robbie Smyth, Liam Connerton, Barry McKeon.

Subs: Darren Gallagher for Masterson (30 mins), Barry O’Farrell for Farrell (half time), Larry Moran for Keegan (41 mins), Conor Berry for O’Farrell (56 mins), David McGivney for McEntire (70 mins), Daniel Mimnagh for Reynolds (70 mins)



Louth will meet Meath at Parnell Park for the second year in a row in the Leinster Championship after overcoming Wicklow by five points.

Colin Kelly’s team went into the game boosted by back-to-back promotions, but found a spirited Wicklow side difficult to shake off.

The Garden County only trailed by one point (1-15 to 1-14) with five minutes remaining, but Louth finished strongly with points from Jim McEneaney, Gerard McSorley, Declan Byrne and Bevan Duffy.

Louth began brightly and together with some fine points from Ryan Burns, broke through for an 11th minute goal by Eoin O’Connor.

But Wicklow hit 1-3 without reply to take the lead, the goal coming from Mark Kenny. However, Louth lifted their game ahead and enjoyed a 1-11 to 1-7 cushion at the interval.

In an exciting contest, Wicklow recorded five of the first six points in the second half and suddenly the sides were all-square again. It was still in the balance approaching the last five minutes, only for Louth to gain a stranglehold and move on to the quarter-finals.

Louth Scorers: Ryan Burns 0-6 (5fs), Eoin O’Connor 1-2, Paraic Smith 0-2, Jim McEneaney 0-2, Declan Byrne 0-2, Ruairi Moore 0-1, Conal McKeever 0-1, Padraic Rath 0-1, Gerard McSorley 0-1, Bevan Duffy 0-1.

Wicklow Scorers: Mark Kenny 1-1, Seanie Furlong 0-4 (3fs), Paul Cunningham 0-3 (1f)​, John McGrath 0-1, Darren Hayden 0-1​, David Boothman 0-1, Conor Ffrench 0-1, Dean Healy 0-1, Robert Lambert 0-1 (0-1f).

LOUTH​: Craig Lynch; Padraig Rath, Patrick Reilly, Kevin Carr; Conal McKeever, James Bingham, Anthony Williams; Tommy Durnin, James Stewart; Darren Marks, Paraic Smith, Bevan Duffy; Ruairi Moore, Eoin O’Connor, Ryan Burns.

​​Subs: Darren McMahon for Williams (14, black card), ​Jim McEneaney for McKeever (47), Declan Byrne for Moore (51), Sam Mulroy for Burns (55), Gerard McSorley for Smith (59), Kurt Murphy for Marks (73).

WICKLOW: Robert Lambert; Ciaran Hyland, Stephen Kelly, Brendan Kennedy; John Crowe, Paul McLoughlin, Darragh Fitzgerald; David Boothman, Niall Gaffney; Conor Ffrench, Dean Healy, Darren Hayden; Mark Kenny, Seanie Furlong, Paul Cunningham.​

​​Subs: John McGrath for Cunningham (60), Anthony McLoughlin for Boothman (60) ​Paddy Traynor for Paul McLoughlin (63), Rory Finn for Kenny (70).


Carlow GAA
Dublin GAA
Kildare GAA
Kilkenny GAA
Laois GAA
Longford GAA
Louth GAA
Meath GAA
Offaly GAA
Westmeath GAA
Wexford GAA
Wicklow GAA