Fáilte chuig leinstergaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil Comhairle Laighean CLG

Dublin Ease Through Against Gutsy Carlow

June 3rd, 2017

Leinster SFC Quarter-Final: Dublin 0-19, Carlow 0-7

Dublin comfortably progressed to the Leinster SFC semi-finals this evening, but Carlow bowed out with their heads held high at O’Moore Park.

The Barrow-siders only trailed by three points at half time and prevented the reigning champions from scoring a goal. Nevertheless, the gap gradually widened as time wore on and Dublin eased through to a semi-final against Offaly or Westmeath.

Only four points separated the sides after 48 minutes when Carlow talisman Brendan Murphy was sent off and Dublin outscored their opponents by nine points to one from that point on.

Carlow had operated with a defensive game-plan – understandable considering the challenge they faced – and frustrated Dublin in the first half, in front of over 13,000 spectators.

Turlough O’Brien’s team opened the scoring through Brendan Murphy and a long-range free from Paul Broderick had the sides level at 0-2 apiece by the eighth minute.

But three free by Dean Rock, together with a couple from play by Jack McCaffrey and another by Paul Mannion, put Dublin ahead by 0-6 to 0-2 midway through the half.

Carlow hit back again through midfield powerhouse Sean Murphy, whose penetrating runs and non-stop effort resulted in a deserved selection as man-of-the-match.

Niall Scully and Ciaran Kilkenny added to Dublin’s tally, but Carlow free-takers Broderick and Darragh Foley left them in a very respectable position at the half way stage.

Early in the second half, two Dean Rock frees were sandwiched by a point from play for Carlow by Danny Moran. But then Brendan Murphy received his marching orders and it was more-or-less one-way traffic from then on.

Carlow only added one more score, a Broderick free in the 68th minute, but they worked tirelessly to prevent the concession of a goal.

Instead, Dublin settled for a succession of points from Rock and Con O’Callaghan from frees, and Ciaran Kelly, Bernard Brogan and Conor McHugh from open play. Diarmuid Connolly hit his only point of the evening with a ‘45’ deep into injury time.

Dublin Scorers: Dean Rock 0-6 (6f), Ciarán Kilkenny 0-3, Jack McCaffrey, Con O’Callaghan (2f), Bernard Brogan 0-2 each, Niall Scully, Diarmuid Connolly (‘45’), Paul Mannion, Conor McHugh 0-1 each.

Carlow Scorers: Paul Broderick 0-3, Danny Moran, Brendan Murphy, Seán Murphy, Darragh Foley (f) 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: Stephen Cluxton; Michael Fitzsimons, Jonny Cooper; Eric Lowndes; Jack McCaffrey, Cian O’Sullivan, James McCarthy; Brian Fenton, Ciarán Kilkenny; Niall Scully, Diarmuid Connolly, Con O’Callaghan; Paul Mannion, Dean Rock, Kevin McManamon. Subs: Bernard Brogan for McManamon (46), Shane Carthy for McCaffrey (53), Mark Schutte for Scully (58), Conor McHugh for Rock (58), David Byrne for O’Sullivan (63), Denis Bastick for Fenton (67).

CARLOW: Craig Kearney; Chris Crowley, Shane Redmond, Conor Lawlor; Danny Moran, Daniel St Ledger, Gary Kelly; Brendan Murphy, Seán Murphy; Eoghan Ruth, Darragh Foley, Alan Kelly; Paul Broderick, Seán Gannon, John Murphy. Subs: Ciarán Moran for Seán Murphy (temp, 21 to 24), Mark Rennick for A Kelly (41), Shane Carr for Ruth (53), Jamie Clarke for G Kelly (59), Kieran Nolan for Crowley (64), Barry John Molloy for Moran (68), Ciarán Moran for Broderick (69).

Referee: Seán Hurson (Tyrone).


Carlow GAA
Dublin GAA
Kildare GAA
Kilkenny GAA
Laois GAA
Longford GAA
Louth GAA
Meath GAA
Offaly GAA
Westmeath GAA
Wexford GAA
Wicklow GAA