Fáilte chuig leinstergaa.ie - suíomh oifigiúil Comhairle Laighean CLG

Classy Cuala Easily Retain Leinster Club SHC Title

December 3rd, 2017

AIB Leinster Club Senior Hurling Championship Final: Cuala (Dublin) 1-23, Kilcormac/Killoughey (Offaly) 1-9

Reigning provincial and All-Ireland champions Cuala had too much class for Kilcormac/ Killoughey in a one-sided AIB Leinster Club SHC Final at O’Moore Park, Portlaoise.

Following on from easy victories over the Kilkenny and Wexford champions en route to the final, Cuala lived up to their favourites tag against their Offaly opponents, who won this title in 2012.

The game was over as a contest as early as the 20th minute, as Cuala effortlessly established a 1-8 to no score lead.

And there’s no marks for guessing who scored the only goal of the game. Only 11 minutes had elapsed when Con O’Callaghan turned inside his man and fired to the net. He also scored two points in the opening 30 minutes, helping to ensure he added yet another medal to his collection.

Cuala’s first touch, ability to win breaks, and precision passing were exceptional during the first half, during which Colm Cronin, Colum Sheanon and free-taker David Treacy also chipped in with points.  

With Cian O’Callaghan and Sean Moran dominant at the heart of the Cuala defence, Kilcormac/Killoughey didn’t open their account until Ciaran Slevin tapped over a 25th minute free.

They were given a glimmer of hope when Conor Mahon hit a ground shot to the net soon after, but then their fortunes took a nose-dive again when Mahon was dismissed just before the interval.

Cuala led by 1-10 to 1-2 at the half way stage and were never pressurised during the second period. Another opportunity for Kilcormac/Killoughey to narrow the gap was thwarted in the 36th minute when Ciaran Slevin’s penalty was superbly saved by Sean Brennan in the Cuala goals.

With David Treacy firing over a succession of frees – he finished as top scorer with 0-10 – Cuala easily extended their lead and deservedly marched on to an All-Ireland semi-final against Liam Mellows, who won the Galway final this afternoon.

Cuala: David Treacy 0-10 (0-9 Frees, 0-1 ‘65), Conor O’Callaghan 1-2, Colum Sheanon 0-3, Colm Cronin 0-3, Darragh O’Connell 0-2 (0-1 Free), Cian Waldron 0-1, Jake Malone 0-1, Brian Fitzgerald 0-1.

Kilcormac/Killoughey: Ciaran Slevin 0-5 (0-3 Frees, 0-1 ‘65), Conor Mahon 1-0, Peter Geraghty 0-2, Thomas Geraghty 0-1, Daniel Currams 0-1.

CUALA: Sean Brennan; Simon Timlin, Cian O’Callaghan, Oisin Gough; John Sheanon, Sean Moran, Paul Schutte; Jake Malone, Darragh O’Connell; Sean Treacy, Colm Cronin, David Treacy; Colum Sheanon, Con O’Callaghan, Nicky Kenny.

Subs: Cian Waldron for Paul Schutte (Inj – 21 mins), Brian Fitzgerald for Nicky Kenny (44 mins), Niall Carty for David Treacy (56 mins), Ross Tierney for Darragh O’Connell (58 mins), Shane Stapleton for Con O’Callaghan (58 mins).

KILCORMAC/KILLOUGHEY: Conor Slevin; Killian Leonard, Ger Healion, Kevin Grogan; Enda Grogan, Damien Kilmartin, Jordan Quinn; Thomas Geraghty, Ciaran Slevin; James Gorman; Conor Mahon, Peter Geraghty; Stephen Leonard, Peter Healion (Capt.), Daniel Currams.

Subs: Alan McConville for Peter Healion (45 mins), James Geraghty for James Gorman (52 mins), Cormac Quinn for Stephen Leonard (57 mins), Brian Leonard for Ger Healion (58 mins), Cathal Mahon for Jordan Quinn (60 mins).

Referee: Sean Cleere (Kilkenny).

Carlow GAA
Dublin GAA
Kildare GAA
Kilkenny GAA
Laois GAA
Longford GAA
Louth GAA
Meath GAA
Offaly GAA
Westmeath GAA
Wexford GAA
Wicklow GAA